What is Natural & Organic?

With many large cosmetic companies jumping on the natural and organic product bandwagon trend how can we be sure that what we are buying is truly ‘Natural’ or ‘Organic’ and free of chemicals and toxins?

There is a lot of confusion as to what a Natural or Organic skin care product actually is. At Flora Organica we adhere to a strict Ingredients policy so you can be assured that the products we sell are effective skin care that is truly good for you and good for the planet.

WHAT IS NATURAL SKIN CARE?

NATURAL SKIN CARE is the care of the skin (the largest organ of the body) using naturally-derived ingredients (such as herbs,roots, essential oils and flowers) combined with naturally occurring carrier agents such as preservatives and emulsifiers (everything from natural soap to oils to pure water). The classic definition of natural skin care is based on using botanically sourced ingredients currently existing in or formed by nature, without the use of synthetic chemicals, and manufactured in such a way to preserve the integrity of the ingredients.

WHY GO NATURAL?

Natural cosmetics contain optimal amounts of bioactive ingredients that are very important in aiding anti aging and the general the health of the skin at any age. Anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, oils (from seeds & nuts), fruit and vegetables, are all a rich source of nature’s most potent phytonutrients.

Natural skin care products and treatments are powerful and effective tools in the fight against all skin concerns as skin is able to recognize and assimilate the natural ingredients producing maximum results. Marketers are becoming very clever about what they classify as 'natural'. A perfect example is Methylparaben &Propylparaben which occur naturally is some fruit but have to been shown to mimic estrogen as well as being a Human endocrine disruptor. It is best to familarise yourself with ingredients and know the effects.Just because somethings occurs in nature doesnt always make it good for you.

WHAT IS ORGANIC SKINCARE?

Organic skin care takes the process of natural skin care one step further by utilizing natural ingredients that are grown without the use of pesticides and synthetic fertilizers.

By using products that contain organic ingredients we are also supporting an emerging green beauty industry, as well as the organic industry as a whole. Organic farming has been proven to use less energy (on average, about 30 percent less), and is beneficial to soil, water and local habitat, not to mention safer for the people who harvest the crops.

WHAT ABOUT CERTIFIED ORGANIC?

Every aspect of an organic product is assessed according to a strict set of regulations and guidelines. Cultivation, harvesting, manufacturing and product formulations must meet the criteria determined by the certification body to be deemed certified organic. 

Certified organic skin care means that every stage in the lifecycle of the product has been carefully considered, keeping the big picture in mind. In other words, it encompasses a holistic approach. Organic Certification Bodies include the ACO, EcoCert, USDA Organic, UK Soil AssociationThe certifiers with the most stringent standards to date are the USDA and Soil Association (UK) 

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) awards its seal to products whose total contents are 100% certified organic, or whose total contents are 95% certified organic where the remaining 5% of contents are drawn from a small, select number of ingredients that are not organically grown, and pose no known risk to health or environment.

A UK-based certifying body that awards its seal to products whose total contents are 100% certified organic, 95% certified organic or whose contents contain a minimum of 70% certified organic ingredients where the remaining 30%.

WHAT ABOUT VEGAN SKIN CARE?

The word Vegan refers to living free of animal products for the benefit of people, animals and the planet. Vegan skin care products are free from animal products such as bees wax, lanolin (a grease derived from wool) found commonly in lip stick, and Shellac (crushed insects) used in some nail varnish. Vegan skin care does not always mean it is natural or organic and free from toxins. All Vegan skin care products stocked on Flora Organica comply with our Ingredients Policy.

If you would like to learn more about a Vegan lifestyle, the Vegan Society website is a great place to start. 

United States Department of Agriculture awards its seal to products whose total contents are 100% certified organic, or whose total contents are 95% certified organic where the remaining 5% of contents are drawn from a small, select number of ingredients that are not organically grown, and pose no known risk to health or environment.

Free shipping for purchases over $100

Copyright © Flora Organica . All Rights Reserved